Thursday, September 29, 2011

Words, Words, Words...


Not many of us write them anymore, even in school.  
But I have to say we have no short amount of them to share in person, of through the short hand version used today called texting.  But I think somehow many of us have lost the history of our lives without letters to distant family that includes the daily grind, and beauty, or hand writing a journal, diary, or a simple thought journal.  
Much of our young country’s history has come from journals and those everyday writings of important and normal people, and some has even come from those old ledgers that told the story of businesses or difficult times in family lives.  
That really makes me wonder where will we find those pieces that historically paint who we are for coming generations.  
I think part of the answer may come from the blogs that pepper the internet today, especially those that tell of life and all it’s everyday craziness of our 21st century!
Are there other ways that may bring our daily history to future generations? Probably.  After all, we’re constantly recreating ourselves and our lives, so why not!!

(P.S.  One of my favorite blogs is real, sometimes gritty, but always so well written!  Here it is, I hope you can check it out!  Expat From Hell // BlogCatalog )

6 comments:

  1. I love how we are all voices in this huge choir making our lives and presence known to future generations! You never know how a hundred years from now how people will look upon this time of great communication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We sort of tell a day in the life of whoever we are. I hear researchers are crunching through Twitter post data to discern all sorts of trends. I see your larger point too and agree. Writing is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Film, art, furniture, tools, garbage...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess Pearl that I see lovely writings and family thoughts and histories but it takes some searching, I'll grant you that.

    Robert, I do so enjoy blogs like yours because they tell me of your area of Florida, and of course your work so I think that fills the bill for good historical writings these days!

    Nicole, In the blogging world discernment means you search out those writings that grab. There are some pieces that aren't worth reading but others grab and won't let go. One such author I cannot get enough of is the Expat from Hell (Blogger). Great writer, and someone I wish I could discuss writing with on a regular basis!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the thing is, it speaks about my personal relationships too. I miss the days when we used to write in long emails. There was dept and time spent organizing thoughts and making sure we try not to hurt other person's feelings. Now with the push button technology and culture...people like to chat and that spoils EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, Bax. But in all the writing online there are beautifully written blogs/journals that really are special. Yours is for me!!

    ReplyDelete