Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer - Fade In, Fade Out

We've had a few cold, non-humid days and after weeks of heat and rather extreme humidity.   You never know from day to day what' coming, unless you religiously follow the weather and even then it can surprise you.  It's funny how the weather is starting to mimic that of the places in the South that I've visited.

When I was growing up, the weather here in the summer was cooler, and most definitely less humid!  Don't misunderstand me, it had it's hot humid days and weeks sometimes of intense heat but they were few and we could revel in the high 70s and low 80 degree weather for much of the summer according to the Old Farmer's Almanac as well as my own memory. 

This spring and these first few days of June have certainly outdone most of those summers I remember in temperatures and humidity.  The amazing thing is that we've had both the cold, dry days, interspersed with those extremely hot and humid ones both within the same weeks.  

Many love the hot and sticky weather, but I find I operate better on those cooler days and tend to hide out in the air conditioning during the really hot and sticky days.  For me, the cooler temps offer a freedom from the sweat and chaffing that drives my days during these kind of summers.  That search for cooler temps has fostered my night owl habits, which continues to drive my existence even today.

So I patiently await the cooler temps.  I do love the flowers and gardens of summer, but not what makes them prosper.  I tend more to hover around the air conditioning during extremely humid days for comfort, and I pray for those first fall days. 

I know I'm strange but hey, it takes all types to make a world!

5 comments:

  1. Our weather is also not typical - a bit cooler that usual and unsettled.

    I'm with you; cooler is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're back to the cool, now! Weird weather seems to be the norm this June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds interesting to have so much variation in weather within a week! Life doesn't seem to be monotonous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying the summer heat ... surprisingly. Maybe my blood has finally thinned. But then again, it's not like I'm out in it all day. That makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how your page have grown so beautiful! Not ony that what you write is good for the hear, your page is good for the eyes too!

    ReplyDelete