Sunday, July 14, 2013

Class Reunions - Love Them, or Hate Them

Well, I have been out of high school since 1968 and after avoiding the reunions for years I am getting brave and will be attending mine this summer.  It's funny because I haven't been afraid to see some people, or upset because some that I would love to see won't come, or are gone.  So why has it taken so long to even want to go again?  For me it is a lot about who I am now and a great deal about who I was then.  I was always trying to fit in, and though I may have seemed unafraid to many I knew - I wasn't.  In fact it has taken me many years to gain that confidence I pretended to have back then.  (I mean I did so much - drama, talent show, and just put myself out there!)

Confidence comes from a secure knowledge that you are loved and cared for, and I know I'm not alone when I say I know I wasn't.  But life has changed and I have grown stronger and in many ways more curious about what those around me during those hard times in high school were really like.  I am going to the reunion this year.  Not because I am unafraid, but more because I want to know some of those people now.  (I already know one and want to know her better!!  :-)

7 comments:

  1. And your added layers make you more interesting now...I think strength also comes from the realization that we are all the same inside beyond the mask of perfection we put outside. I am sure it will be a good experience for you going there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gretchen Remwolt Fields for becoming a new friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bax! And I am looking forward to going too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I'm glad you found someone with whom you can rekindle friendship. The other day I realized that my 35th high school reunion was taking place this year. Since I'm not on Facebook, I'm probably a nonentity as far as organizers are concerned. I did go to the 20th one so I guess that's enough of a re-connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am and was back then a nonentity too,Walk2Write. But I am no longer afraid and that for me is a HUGE thing! Oh, and I am on Facebook to keep connected to nieces, nephews, and friends ONLY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 40th high school reunion is next year. I'm planning to attend. It will be the second reunion that I attend. The last one was 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you sound just like me!! I didn't go for so many years and just decided I I wanted too!

      Delete