Monday, June 23, 2008

Life, Next to the Fast Lane

I live on five lanes of fast. As I sit here and listen to my peaceful classical music the constant "ZOOM!" of passing cars continually reminds me that I am in the modern world. I don't use a feather pen - I use a keyboard that has over half the letters rubbed clean by constant work creating writings and putting thoughts to paper.

Some people ask me how I stand the noise, but it really has become simply the background of my life. Don't get me wrong, I relish complete quiet when I can get it - you know, that time that is devoid of all mechanical and technological sounds. But I have to admit like many in this day and age, I have relegated those sounds to the furthest point back in my everyday existence.

I do miss the quiet though. Every so often I head to a cabin up in the North woods along a river and sit and enjoy the sounds of nature. Funny, but when I head that direction, my husband has all these plans for day trips because he has a terrible time simply sitting and soaking up the quiet.

I'm going to have to work on that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment