Sunday, January 25, 2009

Drivin' My Life Away

I'm not much of a fan of country music, but one artist has grabbed my attention over the years. He died of lung cancer quite a while ago but was a great song writer before actually singing some of his songs as an artist himself.

He had quite a few hits and if you were around in the 70s and 80s I'm sure you heard whether you were a pop, rock or country lover since many of his songs were cross-over hits. Okay, I haven't given you too many hints, but the biggest is the title of this blog is based on a huge hit of his called, "Drivin' My Life Away." Since I'm a writer I felt it appropriate to honor his memory by simply saying it like it is for me, and many who are driven by what they do. Some are driven literally by the life behind those big wheels as a truck driver going and living from place to place. I am driven instead by my need to write (or journal) and express my thoughts, ideas and experiences.

So here is my dedication to that song-smith, Eddie Rabbitt who like those early blacksmiths could form and forge not metal but words and music that set a tone and created feelings which often made any given song the one with the stand out response to touch us and give a small vacation for the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment